Falling for you, for me



What is the point of this journey,
with its tiresome food 
and its wearying wilderness sameness,
(I have a map of Egypt in my wallet)
with its thirst and nostalgia (I see you have one too), 
its uncertain horizon,  
its lacking of any sense of where or when? 

Where did the time go?
It rode in our packs and our pockets,
through the sea, under the mountain,
across the desert
a vagrant doxology 
from “in the beginning”
to “world without end”, 
until it arrived
at this very nanosecond we call now.
This time being threshold –  all there is,
infinitely thin and containing all worlds.

There is no hook I can sling 
to recapture yesterday,
or to grapple my way back to it.
There is no line I can cast 
to reel in the future, no tightrope of time
I can cross to tomorrow.

Suspended between voids
on this threshold of now
that I never cross.

We say this is our story (I say this is my story):

Inundating and subsiding water, 
an ark, falling from quarantine 
into a new world, and

Wilderness, wander until time is rinsed from our journey, 
then stumble across a dry gap in Jordan water 
into a new land, and

Through the Jordan water again
in the arms of a cousin, hear
the accompanying applause of heaven, and

Desert, hunger, the beguiling idolatry 
of bread and fame and power, and

A near-infinite line of thin thresholds
and from One of them, One of us 
falling through death 
into a new creation,
holding on for dear life,
to us, for our dear life.
Falling 
for the life of the world,
the way people do, the way
every I fell for you, 
and every you for me. 

I say this is my story. (We say this is our story):
Quarantine - across
the inescapable threshold of now,
and now, and now again, 
and time, and time again, 
falling out of time 
into mystery.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus-the-Friendship-of-God

Truth to speak as we wait: An Advent Litany

Jesus the Welcomed Stranger