The shadow or the sun

Where do you start,
with the shadow or the sun?

Is one better,
or do they need each other
like YHWH and the Adversary
locked in something like love,
something like hate, 
but like nothing so cold a thing 
as indifference?

Is there a whole story without loss,
without betrayal that follows desire,
that tracks what makes you alive,
what makes me alive,
though far from perfect or right?

Do we really believe
that the frantic hunger of humans
can so distort the dream of God
that it fails?  
Please say, “No.”

So as we wait for what they call
“the fullness of time”, we ask,
Can we trust?
Can you trust me?
Can I trust you?
and perhaps, to break 
(or make) 
the deal 
(or the heart),
Can you trust you, 
and can I trust me?

So.
The question that haunts our hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus-the-Friendship-of-God

Truth to speak as we wait: An Advent Litany

Jesus the Welcomed Stranger